Here are some quick tips to keep in mind when debriefing an exploratory test session:
- The more important the setup and configuration of your software is to your testing, the more you should describe it.
- The areas of the system that are less frequented and/or are the newest require additional details for clarity.
- Talk about how you felt about your testing and the software as you describe the steps you took.
- Avoid "info dumps." Keep those in your session notes, and focus your face-to-face debrief time on patterns, feelings, and overall results.
- Avoid saying the same thing over and over again as you debrief similar tests, or even across several different debriefs. When the notes and data speak for themselves, go beyond the obvious.